Sunday, May 16, 2010

WoW and You: Playstyle

The funny thing about WoW is that it's diverse. You have plenty of global communities spread over a large IQ spectrum. It creates an MMO. The stupid people play a somewhat important role in this community too. Hunters who melee past the level of 10, paladins wearing cloth spirit gear, even warlocks who put one talent point in each tree and don't know what to do with the fourth. They all serve to better those who can learn from others' mistakes and adapt.

Now, finding your niche and play style is much trickier than you think because not only do you have to try one of each class and spec, but also level them to 80 for the full experience. Some classes change dramatically as they level up. I have played two warriors and vowed to level one of each race, but I feel too point and click as a warrior sometimes. They have little utility, and as a prot warrior what utility you have overwrites the passable damage output you need to do well in PvP. Over the course of three years I reiterated to my friends and the WoW community alike how much I despise rogues. They are cowardly and cheap. I won't go on because I'll likely end that train of thought on the word 'overpowered'. Recently, after trying a lot of PvP on a warrior and finding it boring as I stare at the blue-gray vortex in the ghost sky, I found the urge to roll another class before Cataclysm. My best friend, whom we call Raven most of them time due to his unending list of alts, decided that we could level together, and we should choose classes that compliment each other. I steered away from mana altogether after leveling a priest to 73, and he suggested a rogue. I immediately refused to think of it. I am no coward. I want no place in sneaking and tormenting players, but he made a valid point. By both his standards and in light of the Cataclysm class previews, combat rogues seems to function much like a lower level fury warrior. And I am a warrior.

To understand the true epiphany at work here, as I know some of you may have already guessed the ending of this particular bit, you also have to understand my policies for character creation. I have to be able to relate the character, almost so that I could be the character. Their name must be appropriate, not silly or immature (Anyone with beef or burger in their Tauren's name, death in their undead's name or any rogue moves in their rogue's name. You're not clever.) So each of my characters fits a persona, and I can change my mind into that persona while I play. It sounds weird, I know, but believe it or not, a good chunk of WoW players function the same way.

Anyways, after a good hour of thinking it over, I decided to give combat rogues a chance. With the beautifully appropriate name, Hypocrite, I rolled a human rogue. Oh and speaking of rolling a complimenting class, did I mention that two rogues are killer fun? He rolled a dwarf rogue also appropriately named Shankbeard. After the easy quests in Elwynn, we met up in Westfall and moved up in level rapidly from there. It's been four days and we're about 23 now (believe me for the time I have to put in for WoW that's pretty good.) The rogue, especially when coupled with another rogue, is incredibly fun. The sheer amount of utility, control, and damage output is incredible, and I've been promised that it gets better too. A combat rogue plays surprisingly like a fury warrior, and is just as gear-dependent.

I think I might be eating my words about rogues about now. Don't get me wrong, they're still cold, horrifying opponents in PvP, but they're awfully easy to kill when the opportunity presents itself. I still won't likely go another spec permanently, but I will continue to level the rogue until warriors get some buffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment